Dirt accumulation under your toenails is quite a common problem because no matter how often you clean them, the dirt just always seem to return quickly . This is especially true for persons like me who have ingrown toenails or turned down nails and sweats a lot. When this dirt is not cleaned often it becomes black may smells really stink like rotten cheese. It can also make you feel embarrassed to wears slippers . This post will guide you how to clean your toenail and keep the dirt and smell away.
Whats causes dirt to be under your toenail ?
There are a number of factors that contributes to smelly dirty toenail.
- A very common reason is the buildup of keratin debris which is a fibrous structural protein that makes up the outer layer of the skin from the underside of the nail .
- Sweat is another factor which cause black dirt to be under your nail to smell because bacteria love sweat and as the break it down it they produce some very stink smells under our toenails .
- Number three skin cells from the nail bed when they die they also gather up under the nails. Which are loved by fungus , as they feed on them they can cause dirt and bad odor under your toenail.
- Other factors are lint from your socks ,footwear , bedding etc ,dirt from walking bare feet , unclean shoes and socks . Even the moisturising creams we rub on our feet cause dirt build up.
How to clean to dirt under your toenail ?
First you need to soften the dirt and gunk under your nail this can be done by using a softening solution of your choice along with warm water.
Solution #1 ; 1 cup of Epsom salt ,1 cup of sea salt , 2 cup of baking soda ,a few drops of lavender or peppermint oil mix all in a mason jar of hot or warm water then soak your feet for 5 to 8 minutes.
If there is any shade of yellow on your nail your nail may have fungus so you can use this mixture
Solution #2 ; 6 of tea tree oil , 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 2 drops of peppermint oil mix with a mason of warm water .
Soak your feet for 5 to 10 minutes then wipe with a towel the dirt under your nails should now be soft .
Using a nail clip trim your toenail straight across never cut in the corners to prevent ingrown nail. One of the best nail clipper for cutting straight is the KlipPro Straight Nail Clipper. For persons with ingrown nails or turn downs nails they can use Nail Nipper for Thick and Ingrown Toenails .
Once you have cut your nails you can now clean the dirt with a nail cleaner starting from the center and work your way to the edges if you have ingrown toenail you would need to use an ingrown toenail cleaner to remove the dirt you can also use a cuticle pusher and spoon nail clean to remove the dirt above the nail. Once you’ve remove the dirt use a soft brush and brush away any remaining particles, a good nail brush should have two-sided with soft bristles for the top of nails and smaller stiffer bristles for cleaning under nails Tweezerman Nail Brush is a good example. If you wish you can wash once more with warm water .
How to keep toenails cleans?
To keep the nails clean you need to maintain short nail and soak it once or twice a week depends on how dirty your nails get. Your foot sweats all day and this is one of the reason dirt gets under our nails so men should always wear socks when wearing shoes and women can wear stocking.
Also change into new socks every other days or daily if you sweat excessively . When you are bathing use the toe brush to brush away any dead skin or dirty built up which would have accumulated over the past 12 to 24 hours .
- Sticky Stool . It is a sign of unhealthy gut .
- How to stop stinky and smelly farts ?
- Best shaver for your testicles or balls
- How to prevent sweaty and smelly butt crack?
- How to clean smelly shoes