What is Penile Discharge in Men
Discharge is common in women because men usually do not have any discharge from genitals. Thus whenever they feel it, they start worrying about it while getting extremely paranoid and anxious. Many times they try to relate this issue with more serious diseases like cancer or HIV etc. But, before you get much serious, there are few things to discuss about male discharge. What are normal discharge in men .
What are normal Penile Discharge?
You might be aware of the fact that the opening at the head of the penis is called the urethra . Urethra is a tube like structure that runs in the penis it has two functions actually to carry urine from the male body as well as pre ejaculation fluid and semen.Pre ejaculation fluid usually exits the urethra when the penis becomes erect it is also called pre cum it is a clear fluid it flow through the urethra so as to clean and clear the way for semen . Another normal fluid that exits the urethra is semen that occurs during ejaculation ,semen is whitish grey semi fluid and the last one urine which can vary in color from clear to yellow. One more discharge you may find around your penis head is smegma unlike the previous fluids we talk about does it not exit through the urethra . It is a cheesy white material that grow under the penis foreskin .
Any other types of discharge from a man penis is unusual .
Penile discharges can follow a consistency with watery thick appearance and viscous. It can often be clear, bloody, yellow or white in color or may follow wide range of colours. Such discharges may also be accompanied by some odour or few times it is just odour less. The article below contains details about some of the abnormal discharges in male that demand immediate attention of doctors.
Trichomoniasis is a popular sexually transmitted disease known by the name Trich . Trichomoniasis is caused by Trichomonas vaginalis a protozoan parasite it affects millions of men and women in USA everyday but mostly women show symptoms . Men don’t always show symptoms so they usually transmit the diseases unknowingly.
Symptoms of Trichomoniasis in Males:
- It can cause some pain after the ejaculation process.
- Leads to burning sensation right after urination.
- Burning after urination or ejaculation, or some discharge from the penis.
- Men may notice a yellowish discharge or sometimes greyish in color.
Same as women, several men also face Chlamydia issues is caused by bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis . It similar to Trichomoniasis in that many cases it don’t show symptoms of infections. Studies reveal that around 25% to 50% of Chlamydia cases usually stay unnoticed and later cause big troubles. If left untreated Chlamydia or repeated infection can cause blindness .
Symptoms of Chlamydia in Men:
- Watery, cloudy or white discharge that occurs from penis tip.
- Burning sensation, discomfort or pain during urination.
- Pain, inflammation and tenderness inside or around one or more testicles.
- Throat infections.
- Rectal pain, bleeding or discharge.
Actually, it is quite difficult to spot the early symptoms of Gonorrhoea; moreover, occurrence of symptoms generally depends upon gender and studies reveal that infected males will often show symptoms whereas women do not. This sexually transmitted disease usually causes direct impact on membrane ranging from genitals to rectum and sometimes to the eyes. This disease can be transmitted during oral, anal or vaginal sex. Around 90 % of males will show symptoms of gonorrhoea and this disease can be easily identified from infection like symptoms.
Symptoms of Gonorrhoea in Men:
- It leads to abnormal discharge in penis that can be milky or even clear at starting time but then may follow creamy, yellow or blood tinged color.
- Gonorrhoea is painful urination or may lead to frequent urination.
- Leads to bleeding, discomfort, itching or discharge etc.
- May cause sore throat.
- Few rare symptoms also include pinkeye.
- Acute prostatitis
This is a serious kind of issue and must be discussed with doctors as soon as you face symptoms. Acute prostatitis is a serious bacterial infection that’s causes prostate gland becomes suddenly inflamed . Generally, men start observing unpleasant odor in semen or urine; sometimes it could be in form of blood. There are several signs associated with acute prostatitis.
Symptoms of Acute prostatitis:
- It may cause pain in lower back or abdomen.
- Leads to chills and fever.
- Person is not able to completely empty his bladder.
- Acute prostatitis in men may also lead to body aches.
- It may cause vomiting or nausea.
- Leads to pain or burning at the time of urination.
- Men may see a discolored and thick fluid around the head of their penis.
- Whitish discharge due the high amounts of white blood cell fighting the infection.
It is well recognised as inflammation in glans or at head of the penis just because of some kind of infection. Balanitis is often observed to be painful and uncomfortable but it should not be considered much serious issue. One can easily get rid of it with few simple medication routines.
Symptoms of Balanitis:
- Shiny or tight glan skin area.
- Sometime you may find redness around glans.
- Irritation, itchiness, soreness and inflammation on glans.
- A lumpy, thick discharge under foreskin.
- It may also lead to unpleasant smell.
- Causes painful urination.
- You may observe tight foreskin that usually become difficult to pull back.
- It may lead to sores on glans.
- Causes swollen glands in the area close to penis.
Epididymitis is another infection that can cause abnormal discharge in men . This condition is used to describe the inflammation of the epididymis . Epididymitis is a curved tube at the back of the testicles that connects the testicles to the vas deferens , this is the area of the male representative system where the sperms go and wait 2-3 months to become mature . The epididymis can become infected by bacteria due to a number of reasons this occurs when bacteria from the urethra backtracks and enters the epididymis . Some causes of Epididymitis are urinary infection even though this is rare, prostate infection , (75% of the cases are a also the result of) Chlamydia trachomatis , gonorrhea and other STI .
Symptoms of Epididymitis
- Epididymitis do not always give discharge but when it does it can be clear or whitish during bowel movement or urination .
- Low grade fever along with chills
- The feeling of pressure and tenderness in the testicles .
- Pain in the testicles when become worse during bowel movement.
- Low fever
- Feeling of heaviness in the testicle area
- The testicle area will get more sensitive to pressure. It will become painful as the condition progresses. An infection in the epididymis can easily spread to the testicle.
- Enlarged lymph nodes in the groin
- Redness and warmth scrotum.
- Pain during sexual intercourse and ejuculation.
Blood in semen