This post will help to de complicate the process of what to look for in a TV in 2013.This buyers television guide help you eliminate what’s not important for you so you can purchase a big TV or save some money on your energy bills with the best resolution.
Choosing the best television more often than not can look like a complicated task especially with so many brands ,sizes and products specification to consider .Most persons after returning home from buying a television wish they had bought a larger TV , a better model at a cheaper cost or a more cost efficient brand which would save them some bucks every year .Once you know what to look for in a television the right choice will be very easy.
Before we go into the specs you need to look for in a TV ,you should consider where in your home you want to place the television is it a dark or bright room ,how far will you be sitting from the television and how much space you have available to place a television. As you read you will understand why gathering those information is important ,once you have those first set of information you need to know what type of TV should you buy to suit your purpose.
BEST BRANDS OF TELEVISIONS
So which is the best brand of TV ?Consumer report website has tested 100 of TVs in their labs over the past few years to determine every year which are the best brands . The LCD brands which has performed to the highest standard were 1.Samsung 2.Panasonic 3.LG 4.Sony 5.Vizio and Sharp
The cheapest brand TV with best quality and performance is Vizio
If you are looking for a large screen TV but have a small budget in mind the the four top brands of TVs may not be in your price range. Vizio has been rated as the best budget brand of TVs for the past three years by CNET and Consumer reports .
WHAT SIZE TV TO BUY ?Getting a bigger TV is always better ?
- The right size TV is the television which would fit comfortable in your living space.
- If you are not sure how the TV will look you can go to a web site which sells the TV write down the dimensions of the set you would like to purchase cut it out on paper so you can have a template and place it on the wall or where you prefer.
- Going for a big TV is always the best option except for most bedroom which the viewing distance can be short a 32 inches or little bigger will be fine.
- The distance from where you will be watch your TV is very important to the size the want to purchase the further you are from the set the less clearer quality will be if you get a big TV its important not to sit close to it because you will see a lot of pixels .The table below will help you to better understand.
What kind of TV should I buy?
Plasma vs LCD / LED
ADVANTAGES OF PLASMA AND LCD-LED TVs
DISADVANTAGES OF PLASMA AND LCD-LED TVs
LED’s / LCD’s
1. heavier than LCD-LED
1.less picture quality than Plasma
2.image retention on the screen
2.tends to have motion blur
3.lose contract in very bright rooms
Let compare plasma TV with LCD/LED TVs price.
Panasonic TC-P50S60 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV cost $679.99 while the Panasonic TC-L50E60 50-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV similar feature cost $779.99
What picture quality to look for in a TV?
Picture quality is determine by the resolution and contrast ratio
Sure TVs look great at your local store what about when you take it home it does look that way
at the store they have bright florescent light which makes the TV catch your eyes.
Resolution of a TV
- When you look at the product description of a TV would would often see 1080p and 720p TV manufactures often use these numbers to sell you a more expensive television since they would say the larger the number the better the TV picture quality .This is not necessarily true 1080 mean there 1920 pixels (small dots) horizontally by 1080 pixels vertically ,the p at the end of the number mean progressive .720p mean 1280 vertically (dots) wide and 720 horizontally that why you get a wide screen format with 720 sets.
- The more pixels a TV has the better will be your picture quality but the fact is you will never see the difference between a 720p and 1080p television here are the reasons why:-
- In the United States no broadcast company broadcast higher than 720p and wont be in the near future.
- The cost for the bandwidth to broadcast in 1080p is very expensive and the broadcast companies will not be able to filter this cost to their customers.
- In order for broadcast companies to broadcast in 1080p they would need to get rid of most of there current equipment which would see them taking quite a few year to make those changes and also see a profit.
- Who actually offers 1080p? Netflix have adopted 1080p but because of the compression issues, it doesn’t look like 1080p,Direct TV and DISH network offers pay per view movies download only in 1080p,You tube streams in 1080p. Blu Ray this is were you will truly see 1080p since the disc is able to grasp the 1080p data also most games consoles eg Xbox,PlayStation and Wii (manufacture after 2007).
THE BOTTOM LINE
You would not see the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you buying the TV for gaming or you look at a lot of Blu Ray movies.When ever I make a purchase I like to stick with proven technology which is 720p and a lesser extent 1080p
- This is very important it determines the brightness ,colour accuracy and power consumption of the television .The contrast ratio is basically the brightness to darkness ratio eg 5000:1,it tells you how the TV will look at its darkest black and it brightest whites.
- The higher the ratio the more accurate will be the images and more distinct the details will be especially at the darkest corner of the screen.
- When shopping for a TV it might seem obvious to choose the TV with the highest contrast ratio because you will get better image and colour quality, not necessarily .
- There is no industry standard set for contrast ratio so different manufacturers use different ratio and different ways of calibrating the ratio so they can be verified or seen as real.
- Some brands use static ratio which measures the difference between the darkest and brightest images simultaneously ,while some use dynamic ratio which measures the same difference over a period of time.Some brands use both types of ratio.
The bottom line
1.Panasonic TC-L37C22 37-Inch 720p LCD HDTV
2.Panasonic TC-L37X2 37-Inch 720p LCD HDTV
What is the refresh rate of a TV?
Do you need 60 Hz and higher?
Most TV purchases come with free 30 days technical support where you can call a representative to help set your TV or make viewing adjustments.Some brands offer one to two years manufacture warranty if there is a defect you can send your TV to a selected location.Most stores offers insurance on their television ,Amazon has a four year insurance the cost depends on how expensive is the TV set.If a television has a manufacture defect you should recognise it within a year , your warranty should still be valid by that time so purchasing insurance is your choice.Amazon covers repairs for the fours to five years on hardware and electronic failures where technician can visit and provide free in home service in cause and free shipment.
Energy saving TV
Best energy saving TV to save some money
Top Ten energy saving Televisions (small)
Annual Energy Use
40 kilowatt hours
43 kilowatt hours
37 kilowatt hours
39 kilowatt hours
42 kilowatt hours
37 kilowatt hours
21 kilowatt hours
39 kilowatt hours
40 kilowatt hours
40 kilowatt hours
THE TOP TEN ENERGY SAVING MEDIUMS SIZE TELEVISION 32 – 42 INCHES
Top ten energy saving large television
Internet ready TV /smart TV is it worth it?
Smart TVs are televisions with Internet capabilities such as streaming videos from you tube ,Netflix ,surfing the web ,connecting to WiFi capable devices in your home which allows to play music,look at your photos or home videos from other digital devices. There are consumer who enjoy smart TV but I some tend to have connectivity problem , some are often slow at times you need Internet speeds higher than 10 Mbps when watching HD streaming because there will be a constant buffering , to full enjoy the features of the smart TV you need to spend more money on subscriptions .
Now with all the facts understood you know what to look for in a TV ,eliminate all the features you don’t need to get a large good quality TV.