You may have planted echinacea in your garden and now you want makes some DIY home remedies and since echinacea has been proven help skin illnesses , respiratory illness etc when can use it by drinking as a syrup , tea , oil and liquid extract . We can rub it directly on the affected as a ointment or formantation. This post will guide you how to make these DIY home remedies .
The root part of echinacea is said to be the best part of the plant for medical purpose but research on echinacea has also shown that using all parts of the plant is most effective for improving our immune system there are a number of ways we can make do it your self home remedies with echinacea lets take a look.
HOW TO MAKE ECHINACEA TEA?
- Tea is the most common and easiest way to make echinacea home remedies . Using a tablespoon of dried root or leaves or a mixture of both and submerge in hot water for five minutes .
- The flavor of the tea is not friendly to your tongue so you will need to add sugar or honey to sweeten.
HOW TO MAKE ECHINACEA TINCTURES?
- Tinctures is the preferred method by many herbalist because it has less processing steps than other methods and the solution has a shelf life of two years.
- To make tincture place 300 to 500 g fresh echinacea or 100 to 200 g dried root in a large glass jar .
- Add 500 ml vodka (37 proof or higher ) cover the jar and store in in a dark room or cupboard . Ensure you shake it everyday . The jar will remain there for about five to six weeks .
- Then strain or decant the liquid into another container of your desire such as a glass bottle . Remember to shake before use .
HOW TO MAKE ECHINACEA OINTMENT?
- Ointment also known as salve can be used for insect bites . To make take 1 part beewax or paraffin wax mix with 5 part cocoa butter and three part echinacea dry root in a container .
- Then boil the mixture for 1 1/2 hours on a low fire. Once cool place in an air tight container.
HOW TO MAKE ECHINACEA FORMENTATION?
- Formentation is used to place on rash , bites or wounds .
- It is made from gauze or bandages soaked in echinacea tea once place on a wound it can be covered with hot cloth.
HOW TO MAKE ECHINACEA CAPSULES?
- You can also make your own echinacea capsules by buying vegetable gelatin capsules and packing it with dry echinacea roots or leaves.
- Each capsule should be packed with 200mg of dried root or leaf which should be take three times a day.