A led lamp is a solid state lamp that uses ledes ( Light-Emitting Diode ) as a light source. Because the light capable of emitting a led is not very intense, in order to reach the luminous intensity similar to other existing lamps such as incandescent or compact fluorescents LED lamps are composed of clusters of LEDs, in greater or lesser number, according to The desired luminous intensity.
Currently, led lamps can be used for any commercial application, from decorative lighting to the lighting of roads and gardens, presented some advantages, among them the considerable energy savings, instant start, withstand on and continuous off and greater Life, but also with certain drawbacks such as its high initial cost.
The diodes are powered by direct current (DC) power, so LED lamps must include internal circuits to operate from normal AC power . LEDs are damaged at high temperatures, so led lamps have heat management elements, such as heat sinks and cooling fins . LED lamps have a long shelf life and high energy efficiency, but the initial costs are higher than those of fluorescent lamps.
Below we will name the main and most important advantages and disadvantages of this technology.
- Less energy consumption : a led lamp can consume up to 50% less than a lamp with low consumption, making the energy expenditure is almost zero. They also spend 80% less than halogen.
- Long durability : Led lamps can provide more than 40,000 hours.
- High chromatic reproduction index : A great and faithful one at the time of reproduction of the colors is achieved. They are very vivid.
- Minor light pollution : The led lights when they are located spread their light in a directed way, reason why their exposure to the sky is much smaller.
- Less polluting: No mercury or other heavy materials. In addition, they do not have infrared or ultraviolet radiation. Also being more efficient produces less CO 2 .
- Increased resistance: Easily resist thermal changes, vibrations, accidental knocks and even oscillations in a household’s electricity flow. This means that the lights will not burn easily and there will be no broken filaments at the slightest blow.
- Great variety of designs and colors: In the market you will find a great variety when choosing lighting according to your needs. From strips with lights to colored bulbs.
- Reproduce the colors with great fidelity , with a color index of 80 over 100. It also has different shades of light (cold, warm) to fit all kinds of environments.
- High cost: these lamps are in the market for a price quite higher than a conventional lamp.
- Little effectiveness in wide areas: being address lights, are not always the best option when lighting very large areas as traditional lamps, with their beam of light scattered in all directions.
- Bad performance at high temperatures: this is your biggest enemy, from 65º led lights become ineffective or will stop working. Both the LEDs and the electronics of the device must be constantly monitored. It requires a high thermal dispersion. Although the LEDs do not raise as much temperature as conventional lights, the ideal is to have a good system to remove all the heat possible to prevent them from stopping before the due time.