There is an increase in the use of dairy whiteners in tea , coffee and the manufacturing of food and beverages. Those who use them in coffee and tea find that it dissolves easy gives your tea a very great whitening ability and it also have the ability to lighten coffee and to neutralize coffee acids for producing smoother, milder or mellower drinks . Dairy whiteners . Dairy Whitener is made by removing the liquid from the cow milk and adding sugar dried milk with added sugars so that it can be readily used for tea or coffee making without having to add further sugar. Normally dairy whiteners contain around 20% added sugars in the fat maybe removed and replaced with vegetable oil, and reduced the milk protein so it can dissolve easily in hot beverages.
Powder milk also known as dried milk is a factory made dairy product made by evaporating milk to dryness. Preserving the milk is one of the main purposes of dry milk; milk powder has a far longer shelf life than milk in liquid form and does not need to be refrigerated, because of its low moisture content. Another purpose is to reduce its bulk for economy of transportation. Powdered milk and dairy products include such items as dry whole milk, non-fat (skimmed) dry milk, dry buttermilk, dry whey products and dry dairy blends.
Main difference between powder milk and dairy whitener
- A Dairy whitener has more sugar than milk powder this is because corn syrup or/ and sugar is added to dairy whiteners.
- Milk powder can be lumpy when mixed with liquids dairy whiteners dissolves smoothly and easier than milk powder.
- Dairy whiteners have a longer shelf life than milk powder as much as two time more that’s why it preferred by manufacturers , airlines and railways companies.
- Dairy whiteners usually have a number of unhealthy additive compare to milk powder examples are hydrogenated oils , palm oil , Carrageenan Extracted from the red seaweed which is used as an emulsifier and for flavor castoreum and monosodium glutamate .
- Dairy whiteners usually have less nutrients and protein than full cream milk powder.