Autodesk AutoCAD is a computer-aided design program for two- and three-dimensional drawing. It is a software recognized internationally for its extensive editing capabilities, which make it possible to digitally draw building plans or recreate 3D images. Drawing in this program has revolutionized the way of working, since in any work that is related to the technical, it is now done digitally.
Like other computer aided design programs, AutoCAD manages a database of geometric entities (points, lines, arcs, etc.) with which it can be managed through a graphic screen in which these are displayed, the cited drawing editor. The user interaction is done through commands, editing or drawing, from the command line, to which the program is fundamentally oriented.
It also processes images of vector type, although it admits to incorporate files of photographic type or bitmap, where basic or primitive figures are drawn (lines, arcs, rectangles, texts, etc.), and by means of editing tools more complex graphics are created.
Part of the AutoCAD program is oriented to the production of plans, using for it the traditional resources of graphics in the drawing, such as color, thickness of lines and textures hatched.
- Working in AutoCAD is more feasible and practical than if it were to be done by hand. It saves time and is simpler.
- It allows exchanging information not only by paper, but by means of files, and this represents an improvement in speed and effectiveness when interpreting designs.
- It has been linked to multiple platforms, with the benefit of being able to export and import files of all kinds.
- It has tools so that the paper document is perfect, both in terms of aesthetics and information, since the finishing and presentation of a project or plan is important.
- It is possible to draw both in 3D and in 2D: from the 2D drawing in plan, there is the possibility of generating the 3D model in a much shorter time than it is used to draw an isometric or a perspective by hand.
- It has become a standard in computer design because it is very versatile, being able to expand the base program through programming.
- Less work time: productivity when drawing. With tools for project management you can share information effectively and immediately.
- Practicality: ease in the modifications and order.
- It is used in many branches, in which stand out: architecture, civil industry, electronics, electromechanics, chemistry, oil, and technology, etc.
- The program gives the artist the opportunity to convert their work to other files such as PDF and share them effectively and easily with whomever you want.
- The program has a high cost, due to its license.
- Knowing how to fully use the software requires a lot of time since there are many functions, and even that they are of little application, since they are very specific.
- It requires a powerful computer to work with processing speed, and a high space on the hard drive.
- Most people who want to learn to use this program have to choose to pay quite expensive courses to learn how to use them completely.