In addition to its numerous medicinal properties , horsetail ( Equisetum arvense ) also has great aesthetic benefits.
Here we detail one of its most frequent and appreciated uses: the treatment for hair loss .
Why does hair fall out?
The fall of the hair is a normal phenomenon, since each hair has a life cycle and when it reaches the end it falls so that the cycle starts again. Losing hair should not be cause for concern as long as it remains within normal limits, which is estimated to be between 60 and 100 hairs per day.
If the hair loss is excessive it could be alopecia. In these cases it is recommended to consult a specialist doctor to help us find the cause and treat it.
Frequent causes of hair loss
- Androgenetic alopecia is the most frequent cause of alopecia in men, in women it also occurs, but to a lesser extent. In men it usually manifests before the age of 30, starting with a weakening of the hair at the temples and followed by the crown of the head. In women, it usually begins after menopause, mainly affecting the density of hair on the crown of the head.
- Hormonal changes are the most frequent reason for hair loss in women. During pregnancy, increased levels of estrogen favor hair growth, but this will fall massively when levels drop drastically after delivery. This can also happen when a woman stops taking the contraceptive pill after a long time or when starting menopause.
- Deficiency of vitamins and minerals . Whether due to a poor diet or a radical diet, if the body does not receive all the necessary nutrients it will be reflected in the quality and quantity of the hair. A common reason in women is anemia , as they lose a lot of iron during menstruation. Other reasons may be high copper levels and deficiencies of minerals such as calcium, chromium, magnesium and zinc.
- Suffering stress for long periods of time can cause temporary hair loss.
- As a result of high fever or flu . 2 months later there may be a weakening of the hair accompanied by a diffuse fall.
- As a side effect of a medication.
How horsetail helps with hair loss
This plant is not a miracle remedy to recover or prevent hair loss, but it can help us slow http://www.healthsupportyou.com/accutane-isotretinoin/ down the fall and stimulate hair growth naturally , especially if it is due to a deficiency of nutrients.
The importance of horsetail for hair loss is largely due to the fact that it is one of the best vegetable sources of organic silicon. This mineral helps give elasticity, firmness and resistance to hair, in addition to improving the elasticity of the skin and give strength to nails, bones and teeth.
In addition, thanks to its diuretic action, horsetail helps detoxify the body and improve circulation. This in turn helps to prevent hair loss, as well as stimulate their growth.
How to use horsetail to treat hair loss?
Horsetail can be prepared and used in various ways for hair treatments. We can stand out:
- Shampoo . Use shampoo mixed with infusion or horsetail extract.
Preparation: In half a cup of boiling water throw 3 tablespoons of horsetail grass. Allow the water to cool before brewing and mix it with neutral shampoo or baby shampoo.
- Tonic . Prepare an infusion to clarify the hair and improve capillary circulation with massage.
Preparation: Pour 4 tablespoons of dried horsetail herb in 1 cup of boiling water. Allow to cool before filtering the water and use it to massage the scalp and rinse the hair after washing.
- Infusions . Take a cup of horsetail tea daily to support the treatment.
Preparation: In a cup of boiling water, toss 1 heaped teaspoon of the dried herb. Cover the cup and let stand 5 minutes before filtering. Add sugar or honey to taste.
Other remedies to strengthen hair
- To have healthy hair it is important to follow a diet rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals ; especially in beta-carotene, group B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron (along with vitamin C to improve absorption), zinc and silicon. If necessary, you can also take food supplements, which should be taken under medical supervision.
- Brewer’s yeast ( Saccharomyces cerevisiae L. ). This ferment helps to stop the fall and strengthen the hair thanks to its high content of vitamins and minerals. Highlighting for this purpose the vitamins of group B (including biotin), chromium, iron and zinc.
- Capillary massages with almond oil, castor oil or rosemary oil . These oils help strengthen and stimulate hair growth. Massage the scalp with the chosen oil and cover with a towel for 30 minutes, then wash normally.