There are many different cultures that have used Rhodiola Rosea for medicinal purposes throughout history . If you often feel tired, stressed, with lack of energy and vitality, if insomnia or not sleeping well at night you spend your bill during the day, keep reading because this article will interest you.
What is Rhodiola Rosea?
The Rhodiola Rosea is a plant currently used to strengthen the nervous system, combat stress, anxiety, fatigue and even to leave behind depressive symptoms.
It belongs to the family of Crasuláceas and grows in cold areas, generally in the Arctic, Siberia, Central Asia, Iceland and Scandinavia, hence it is popularly known as the “Arctic root”, although we can also find it in other areas such as the Alps and the Pyrenees. It can measure between 5 and 40 cm and its flowers, yellow, bloom in summer.
The Rhodiola has a history that goes back thousands of years. Already the ancient Greeks used this plant. The Chinese went to the Himalayas to collect it, the Russians administered it to their elite athletes and their soldiers, and even the Vikings used it regularly to further increase their forces.
Among its numerous properties, perhaps the most outstanding is the adaptogenic power of this plant, since it can be used to treat both anxiety and depression. The Rhodiola, has the ability to give you what you need, when you need it. Today, it is widely used in the United States and throughout Eastern Europe for medicinal and therapeutic purposes.
Properties and benefits of Rhodiola Rosea
The Rhodiola Rosea is a plant that can be found in the form of a 100% natural nutritional supplement. It has the ability to increase the body’s resistance to stress, trauma, anxiety or fatigue, while normalizing the physiological functioning of our body in these situations, without modifying bodily functions more than necessary, independently of whatever the cause that is causing it.
But the truth is that the Rhodiola Rosea has many more properties, but among the most outstanding are:
- Stress: this plant is very effective in fighting stress thanks to its ability to reduce the levels of the hormone cortisol , known as the stress hormone.
- Increase energy: rhodiola fights fatigue , boosts your energy and increases the body’s resistance. It allows you to find the physical-emotional balance.
- Athletes: athletes find in this wonderful plant a great ally and not only for its ability to increase energy, but also reduces the time needed in muscle recovery.
- Depression: among the active principles of rhodiola, we find high levels of rosavin and salidroside, a perfect combination that maintains the necessary levels of serotonin and dopamine.
- Cognitive capacity: the root of the Arctic, also enhances the ability of memorization and concentration. Prevents mental fatigue and improves brain circulation. An ideal supplement for those with emotional fatigue or for those students at exam times.
- Parkinson: is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s thanks to its power to increase the levels of dopamine , neurotransmitter in deficit in this disease.
- Antioxidnte: very rich in antioxidants, this plant is also able to increase the antitumor activity byincreasing the body’s resistance to toxins. Studies have shown that Rhodiola extracts reduced tumor growth by 39% and metastasis decreased by 50%, which translated into a higher survival rate.
- Cardiovascular health: it increases the levels of oxygen in blood improving especially, the cardiac problems caused or aggravated by the stress.
- Weight loss: by controlling the hormone cortisol, it also reduces the risk of fattening as it increases the elimination of fat by 9% without the need for physical exercise. Rhodiola activates the lipolytic processes of the body, mobilizing the lipids of an adipose tissue to the body’s natural fat burning system.
- Insomnia: improves insomnia and fatigue, which is the consequence of not sleeping well. Unlike other medicines for insomnia, the relaxation that produces Rhodiola is not inducing sleep so we will not feel drowsy to take it and we can face the day to day with much more vitality.
- Defenses: Rhodiola increases the body’s defenses by strengthening the immune system and its response to diseases.
- Libido: is a natural aphrodisiac that increases sexual desire in both men and women. In the case of men, it improves erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
- Hearing: has the ability to improve hearing.
- Diabetes : helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Hepatic protector: Rhodiola protects the liver from environmental toxins.
- Thyroid: improves thyroid function without causing hyperthyroidism.
How to take Rhodiola and what is the recommended dose?
The usual dose is between 200mg and 600mg daily and can be taken in different forms such as infusions, natural extracts or nutritional supplements.
- Rhodiola infusion: If you have access to the plant, you can take 2 to 3 infusions a day. To make the most of the properties of the plant you must prepare the infusion by adding 1 tablespoon of Rhodiola Rosea leaves, fresh or dried, in a cup of boiling water. Put the water and the plant to boil and when it reaches a boil, turn off the heat and leave it covered, resting for 3-10 minutes. It is then filtered and the infusion can be taken.
- Rhodiola natural extract : In a natural extract, 1ml of extract is taken daily, preferably in the morning.
- Rhodiola supplements : In the case of opting for its form of nutritional supplement, 1 tablet per day is recommended, in the morning, preferably with breakfast (15 minutes before). Treatments with Rhodiola supplements usually last 2 to 3 months.
The effects of this plant usually appear fast, at the beginning of the treatment. On the other hand, the absence of relevant side effects, make Rhodiola a plant considered safe and well tolerated.
Contraindications and adverse effects of Rhodiola
Despite being considered a safe plant, like all plants, Rhodiola also has its adverse effects and contraindications although these are of little importance.
Keep in mind that at high doses (between 1500-2000mg / day), episodes of irritability may occur and cause insomnia or nervousness. Therefore, it is advisable not to exceed the recommended dose.
Some people may suffer an increase in blood pressure. People suffering from coronary spasm and changes in blood pressure should take it under medical supervision.
It is not recommended to take it before a surgery because it can thin the blood. Also, if you are taking any anticoagulant treatment or if you are taking Vitamin E supplements. If you are taking this plant and you have a planned intervention, tell your doctor that you are taking Rhodiola.
Rarely, Rhodiola has caused nervousness, nausea, hypersalivation, anxiety, insomnia and febrile states. If you notice any of these symptoms, tell your doctor.
In the case of diabetics, its consumption is recommended under medical supervision.
Its consumption is totally discouraged in pregnant women, breastfeeding, and children under 10 years.
Where to buy Rhodiola Rosea?
The Rhodiola Rosea can be purchased at herbalists or pharmacies. In the event that you opt for its nutritional supplement form, we advise you to use organic supplements, 100% natural.
When buying this plant, you must take into account that there are more than 50 different species of Rhodiola, to make the most of their properties, make sure you are buying Rhodiola Rosea since it is the only one that offers all these properties that we have mentioned.
It is important that the Rhodiola you buy has between 3% and 4% of rosavín, which together with salidroside are its most beneficial assets.
You can also buy at Amazon.