This post is a guide for the best OTC (Over the counter ) medicines or supplements for excessive gas or flatulence. These gases that accumulate in our body and cause discomfort and a feeling of heaviness and swelling can be produced by different causes.
Among the most common are stress, aerophagia ( swallowing air when eating or chewing gum, for example) or constipation , which produces greater putrefaction, and other digestive problems such as indigestion of food. These causes and of remedies for smelly flatulence were detailed in a previous article.
Since excessive and smelly gas can be caused by difference means we will also state which OTC medicines are best for your specific gaseous problems.
Excessive farting may not always require medicine in certain cases . Doctors may recommend the following to reduce gas .
- Reduce drinks with gas . we refer to sparkling water, but especially to soft drinks, which have a lot of sugar and favors bloating, and sparkling wines, which have the added problem of containing alcohol , which also causes more gases. It is also not advisable to drink drinks with a straw .
- Eat without hurry. Instead of chewing fast we should eat slowly, eat less fast foods it promotes poor digestion. It is best to concentrate on each bite and chew thoroughly.
- Chewing gum can cause air to get into the stomach.
OTC medicine or drug for regular to excessive gas
After a weekend of heavy meals and eating heavy foods, it is common to have a feeling of discomfort and swollen gut . One of the most common consequences of this type of excesses are gases , bloating , belching and flatulence. However, there are solutions to at least alleviate the gases.
This is the case for simethicone , a component that mechanically breaks air bubbles in the gastrointestinal tract. These bubbles are joined together, allowing the accumulation of gas to decompose more easily.
There are many over the counter drugs with simethicone it can be given to adults , children and newborns but always speak to the doctor in case of allergies.
1.Gas-X Extra Strength Softgel for Fast Gas Relief
This one of the most popular gas relief product
Medicin for excessive gas caused by eating beans and vegetables.
Legumes are an important source of proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals in our diet. Unfortunately, beans or legumes have been the most affected by their reputation for causing gas.
Especially those persons who switch to being a vegetarian/vegan diet we suddenly consume more of these producing gaseous problems.
In the case of legumes, the substances responsible for these discomforts are two types of starches. The first is the so-called oligosaccharides. Our body produces the enzymes that digest these starches but only on demand. This means that if you eat beans more often, the body will produce more of this enzyme and vice versa. The second ones are the so-called resistant starches, which are partially digested. Ironically, this lack of digestibility is what protects us from diseases. These resistant starches are fermented by intestinal bacteria and transformed into fatty acids which are related to the decrease of colon cancer. For this and many other benefits, it is important to keep them in our diet. It will cause discomfort at first, but if you cook them well and gradually increase their consumption.
1.500 ct Bean-zyme anti-gas 300 GALU
The best medicine for a vegan who experiences excessive gas because of legumes and beans is a product called Bean Zyme. Bean Zyme (or any other supplement that contains alpha-galactosidase) which is a vegan supplement of this enzyme necessary for the digestion of beans and vegetables like broccoli. Not because Bean Zyme is made with vegans in mind doesn’t mean nonvegan cannot use it .
One Beanzyme capsule is taken with the first bite of food you take it helps to breakdown the sugars in your vegetables , beans
Beano is another supplement with alpha-galactosidase its not for vegans but it very effective when taken with food. Two tablets are taken with your first bite of food if you still experience flatulence you can take 3 capsules. Beano can be used by persons who experience symptoms of bloating and flatulence after eating foods such as carrots , onions , cabbage , beans , cauliflower,soy , pepper peanut and more.
- Cook your beans with a piece of Kombu (seaweed that is usually found in natural or Oriental stores). Kombu contains some of the enzymes needed to digest legume oligosaccharides.
- Soak the beans before cooking them (1 part of beans for 3 of water). If you cook your own beans, try soaking them in water for a few hours or throughout the night. If you forgot to soak them, you can boil them in water for 5 minutes. Let stand for an hour, then throw this water and rinse the beans before cooking.
Medicine or supplement for gas caused by gluten or cereals.
Gluten is a protein present in some cereals. The gluten protein (gliadin) is found in wheat, rye, barley, and triticale .
Actually, no person can digest or properly metabolize gluten, and many have the most diverse symptoms that could indicate celiac disease but when doing the tests the results are often negative. Until relatively recently it was believed that gluten only caused celiac disease ( surely many health professionals believe it ) but they have discovered 2 more ways: Allergy and sensitivity to gluten.
Did you know that the relationship between celiac disease and gluten was discovered thanks to the Second World War? A Dutch pediatrician Dr. Willem-Karel Dicke realized that in the last years of the war, when bread was not available, the infant mortality rate due to celiac disease fell to almost disappear and then again when the bread became available again .
Gliadin is one of the proteins found in gluten. Our enzymes cannot break it down from the amino acids (glutamine and proline) into elements small enough for us to digest, so they break it down into peptides, which are too large to be properly absorbed through the small intestine. The intestinal wall needs to be opened more to let these peptides pass and thus assimilate them, but before that action the immune system sees the peptide as an enemy and attacks it.
There are digestive enzymes and supplements you can use to reduce or eliminate gas caused by gluten .
1.Enzymedica – GlutenEase, Complete Gluten & Casein Formula with Digestive Enzymes.
The main ingredients in GlutenEase are DPP-IV, Amylase Thera-blend, Protease Thera-blend, Glucoamylase . GlutenEase does not cure gluten intolerance or Celiacs but it reduces or prevent the bloating , gas , farts ,GI tract pain, and contraction when you eat out and accidentally eat gluten. The more gluten food you eat the more tablets you have to take. Vegans can also use them.
2. Gluten Cutter
Gluten Cutter enzyme is the only Gluten Cutter is formulated with GCX50, an advanced proprietary blend of enzymes that target and break down gluten . It has similar digestive enzymes as Enzymedica but with some added natural ingredients such as peppermint , ginger root and licorice . One thing I think is misleading about this product is that they encourage persons to enjoy all the carbohydrates they like. This product is not a cure for your disease so you still have to eat gluten rich foods in moderation.
Medicine or supplement for gas caused by lactose or dairy products.
The enzyme called lactase is responsible for digesting food with milk, but almost all people over 30 stop producing it in the stomach. When the lactase disappears slowly, the symptoms of lactose intolerance appear. After eating any food that has milk, the symptoms of lactose intolerance do not appear immediately, it can show up within 15 minutes to up 6 hours later . The symptoms are bloating , very smelly farts and diarrhea.
A great help to solve the stomach problems mentioned above is supplements with lactase, since in them it is possible to obtain the enzyme to digest milk.
Ask at any pharmacy for a lactase supplement and take 9,000 IU each time you eat a food with milk. It is likely that later you can lower the dose, but remember to take it with the food.
Recommended OTC medicine or supplement for preventing gas because of lactose intolerance is :
1.Lactaid Fast Act
Lactaid Fast Act Lactose Intolerance Relief Pills. The lactase enzyme digests lactose in food or drink and reduces the chances of developing symptoms such as bloating, gas or diarrhea .
Medicine or supplement for gas caused by more than one food intolerance (dairy, gluten, beans )
1. Digest Spectrum, Multiple Food Intolerance Formula.
The active ingredients are :DPP-IV, Amylase Thera-blend, Xylanase, Protease Thera-blend, Alpha Galactosidase, Glucoamylase, Lactase, Lipase Thera-blend, Maltase, Cellulase Thera-blend, Inverlase, Peclinase (w/ Phytase), Hemicellulase.
Digest Spectrum combination of digestive enzyme works for people who experience intolerance to vegetables , gluten , beans , phenol and dairy. One to two capsule can be taken before a meal.
Medicine or supplement for gas caused by Celiac disease ,Irritable bowel syndrome ,Gastroesophageal reflux disease and Peptic ulcer disease .
Diagnosis of these diseases can be difficult because the symptoms these diseases also appear in many other diseases.
The reality is your doctors have to try different treatments to see which will work and you still will not get a positive result. There is a combination of medicines or drugs you can try.
Natural supplements for gas(Click the links to buy the supplements on Amazon )
- Fennel, green anise or star anise . The seeds of these plants neutralize the production of gases . They also reduce intestinal spasms, and stimulate digestion . It is recommended to take them in a decoction of a tablespoon soup per glass of water , after lunch and dinner.
- Digestive enzymes digestive enzymes pass to the digestive tract to break down food into its nutrients that later pass into the bloodstream. In all biochemical processes produced in our body, enzymes are of great importance because thanks to them the (hydrolyzation) and digestion of food is produced, they facilitate the absorption of nutrients, they stimulate the brain, they provide energy in the organism, they repair all the tissues, organs, bones, maintain the immune system … improve our digestive health.A very good digestive enzyme for gas is by NATURAL BIOMEDICAL .
- Oregano. Its essential oil is a powerful antimicrobial, which manages to eliminate the excess of harmful bacteria from the intestine, responsible for the production of gases. Use 3 to 4 drops on a finger of water , 10 minutes before the 3 main meals , for 7 to 14 days, repeating if necessary after resting for 14 to 30 days.
Prevent the proliferation of bacteria responsible for the production of gases
- Artichoke or milk thistle. The bitter components of these plants stimulate the production of bile , vital for a good intestinal transit and an adequate digestion, avoiding an excessive fermentation of badly digested foods . Taken in decoction 1 to 3 times a day after meals you get to effectively fulfill its function. It can also be found in the extract (liquid or dry).
- Ginger. Its rhizome stimulates the mobility of the stomach by improving digestion. It reduces the spasms of the muscular wall of the intestines and thus alleviates the disorders produced by the gases . It is recommended to take the decoction of a sheet of ½ cm per glass of water , after lunch and dinner.
- Activated charcoal . Especially effective when you are late in going to the bathroom and feel your belly more swollen. It is a great absorber of waste , bacterial and gas residues. Due to its small but very active pores, they allow evacuating these residues out of our body quickly and efficiently when they stay longer than recommended and desired. They are used in short periods of 3 to 7 days , taken with plenty of water, before the main meals.
- Papain and bromelain They are enzymes obtained from the papaya (the first) and the pineapple (the second). They improve the digestion of food, preventing the excess of badly digested foods from fermenting , and causing gas and bloating. They are taken individually or combined in capsules or tablets during the main meals.
- Probiotics help balance the intestinal flora . In this way, they avoid the excessive proliferation of damaging bacteria , responsible for infections, fermentations, gas and abdominal swelling.
Eat fermented foods such as yogurt or kefir
- Some of the most common probiotics are: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacteria, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Lactobacillus rhamnosus … They are all found in fermented foods, such as yogurt or kefir. You can also consume them in preparations (sold individually or in combination) in powder, vials or capsules.