It is a totally proven fact that the use of educational games has an important positive effect on the learning process of children. Child psychologists and educators agree on the fact that educational games reinforce curiosity in children and facilitate their future academic performance .
Several studies have shown that this type of games stimulates the cognitive development in children of school age , as well as the motor skills and coordination of the players. Likewise, educational games can strengthen the memory of children and help them develop their capacity for social interaction. Thus, there is no doubt that educational games are a widely effective method of promoting the physical and intellectual development of children. This all sounds good but there are disadvantages to using games in classrooms or education which we will look at in this post.
We have experienced a growing interest in the use of educational games that improve the teaching experience and the learning of our students. A study in US schools analyzes the experiences of American teachers by including digital games in their classes.
Half of the 505 teachers interviewed in the study claimed to use digital games with their students two or more days a week, and 18% claimed to use them on a daily basis. Of course, if this same study were carried out in our country, the results would be radically different from those obtained, at least in terms of implementation of the games on the day to day of our teachers. In any case, we believe that the results reported by the teachers surveyed can be a great help when it comes to understanding and analyzing the advantages and disadvantages of using educational games in our classrooms.
Advantages and disadvantages of digital educational games
Some of the positive aspects or advantages derived from the experience of the teachers surveyed are:
- Approximately 70% of respondents say that students who usually get worse results improve their performance through the use of educational games.
- Three out of five teachers say that games increase attention and improve the level and quality of collaboration among students.
- 60% have responded that the use of digital games helps to personalize teaching and improve the transmission of knowledge and, therefore, the learning of students.
- 62% confirm that the use of interactive digital games manages to facilitate the content of the subjects allowing a more effective and homogeneous teaching among students of different levels and abilities.
Some professors participating in the study also highlighted some of the problems or disadvantages they observed when trying to introduce the use of digital games in their classes:
- The use of educational games delayed the rhythm of the classes. (8%)
- Some teachers observed behavior problems of students who traditionally had lower performance. (7.7%)
- A minority of the teachers surveyed claimed to have suffered a noticeable increase in problems and conflicts among students due to the use of the games. (5.1%)
The study seems to be conclusive in favor of a progressive implementation of the games in our classrooms, provided that it is done in a studied manner and that it is consistent with the educational objectives of each subject. Education must evolve and innovate at the pace of our students . It is important to be able to transmit knowledge in the language of the students, and the language of today is Technology.
You may be interested in: Advantages and disadvantages of playing video games
Advantages and disadvantages of video games for education.
Video games have become a didactic resource used by many teachers to encourage and motivate the active participation of students in different areas. Like other educational resources, we can find in them the following advantages and disadvantages:
1) They encourage motivation: Many of them have an attractive interface and navigation that allows stimulating several senses at the same time.
2) They have great interactivity, which allows the student to be an active and participative subject while using it.
3) Facilitate attention to diversity: It allows establishing various learning rhythms and the ease of adapting the level of contents according to the needs of each one.
4) They stimulate the capacity for reasoning and discernment.
5) They allow interdisciplinarity, in a single videogame we can find development of several areas.
6) They allow an evaluation system that generates healthy competition.
1) It can generate addiction.
2) The excessive use of video games can cause rejection towards other didactic means such as books, CDs, etc.
3) It can cause violent behavior if the resource used is based on this type of behavior.
4) It can be expensive for the educational center, not only the acquisition of video games, but also the equipment and programs necessary to execute them.
The role of videogames in education is important, but they should always be used with measure and under the supervision of parents and teachers.