Save our data in the Cloud
We understand how to store our data in the cloud, , to the service of mass storage of data in servers, provided by companies that host our computer data files in their processing centers. In summary, this means that there are companies that provide a service, which can be both free and paid, of storing our computer files on the Internet.
The companies that offer these hosting services operate huge data processing centers. Users who are in need of this type of service, hire the storage capacity they need. The operators of this service, virtualize the resources, the remote physical space, according to the requirements of the client and the clients are responsible for managing the storage and operation of both the data files and the computer applications of their property, hosted in this remote hosting service.
Storage resources can be physically located anywhere in the world that has good access to the Internet, in a concentrated way in a single server or distributed in multiple physical servers. At last, the cloud does not cease to be a physical and tangible space in one or more disks of one or more servers, owned by a company that provides data storage services.
This type of service, not only is currently available, we have had it for several decades and one of the first examples that take more time between us and surely without realizing it, is the use of email accounts like webmail as is Hotmail, being this service, one of the oldest and totally current in the present.
Currently, the use of the cloud has spread exponentially with the arrival of social networks, without going further imagine the amount of data of all users of Facebook, more than 1.2 billion, which are saved is their servers. Data of personal profiles and companies, comments, statements, videos and photographs that are hosted on server disks located in large data processing centers.
Undoubtedly what accelerated the development of this technology, was the enormous increase in the speed of data transmission on the Internet, the result of the increase in bandwidth that gives us the ability to concentrate all our computer data files of any company so that these can be accessed instantly from any geographical location by authorized people in a safe and agile way from both computers and mobile devices with Internet access.
Advantages of saving data in the Cloud
- Access from any geographic location to the data and applications. It is only necessary to have a good internet connection to have all our data and applications stored in the cloud, regardless of the time, the place where we are and the type of device with which it is accessed.
- Free maintenance by the user. The company that provides the storage service takes charge of all preventive and corrective maintenance activities, both hardware and software.
- Updates to the latest versions. The company providing the service is in charge of updating the computer applications, both the utilities and the software to protect the integrity of the data.
- Most economical shared applications. The use of applications by several users lowers its cost per user.
- Reduction of the investment in the user’s computer equipment. Due to the concentration of data and applications in the cloud, the technical requirements of the user’s devices both at the microprocessor level and the storage capacity decrease.
- Scalable storage system. The storage space contracted in the cloud, is easily modifiable according to the increase or decrease of the client’s needs, without having to make major investments for the forecast of possible future solutions.
- Security. We still do not have total certainty of the degree of security that this storage system offers, as a general rule, we understand that they are facilities that have a greater possibility of security in terms of technical development, maintenance, support and access to information than any installation particular.
Disadvantages of saving data in the Cloud
- Lack of security. The control of access to the data is in the hands of the service provider and the users of the service, so it will be convenient to pay attention to the strength of the generated keys, make frequent changes of them and not disclose them to other people.
- Privacy. Our data files are located in a remote place so we lose their direct control and this control happens to be in charge of the company providing the service, so it becomes essential to hire a prestigious company.
- Remote access. Access to data is only possible with a reliable connection to the Internet, so without connection, there is no possibility of access to data and applications stored in the cloud.
- Legal coverage There are situations in which it is not entirely clear if the law of one or the other country should be applied. It usually happens that the client is based in a country and the servers of the company that provides the storage service in a different one, so there are doubts about which is the law that must be applied.
- Intellectual property conflicts. Customer information is no longer under your control, which may lead to problems with your property.
Some examples of Cloud storage
- Dropbox multiplatform file hosting service, operated by the Dropbox company. This service allows users to store and synchronize files online between computers and mobile devices and share files with other users. There are free and paid versions. It can be accessed via the web and is also available for Android, Windows phone, Blackberry and IOS.
- Google Drive is a file hosting service provided by Google as a replacement for Google Docs. Users have a free space to store their files that can be expanded by different payment plans. With access through the website from computers or from applications for Android and IOS
- iCloud platform developed by Apple that offers service to IOS clients. It is a platform to edit and share documents and allow users to store data and then access them from any of their devices.
- Onedrive is a cloud storage service from Microsoft. With this service, you can store photographs, videos, and all kinds of files and documents. It offers different options to be able to share the stored contents. Compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems and with IOS, Android and Windows phone platforms.