In this article we will see how ICT impacts on society in general and particularly in the world of education. At the end of it, he relates the ones that, in his opinion, are the main advantages of ICT and the risks to be taken into account in the use of them.
Undoubtedly a very interesting article that we hope you like and that makes you reflect on the way you use technology.
Without more, I leave you with Agustín and his vision on the world of ICT in education.
We understand information and communication technologies as a set of techniques, developments and devices derived from new applications in information media and communication channels.
Information and communication technologies have caused a great change in many aspects of life and have had repercussions to a greater or lesser extent in all the environments in which human beings move.
Private companies have experienced an enormous development thanks to new technologies, since it has meant an improvement in productivity . In the same way they have had to invest significant amounts to keep up and not stay off the hook.
The public sector has also undergone great changes because of these advances: health, public entities, education …
It is in this last field, in the field of education, that we want to focus on this article and analyze what impact it has had.
ICT is having a great impact in the educational world . Adapting to these new technologies is a process that is taking place slowly, but which is allowing many teachers to improve the quality of teaching.
There are many uses that can be given to ICT in the classroom , for example teachers have the ability to create online content, updated and according to the interests of each moment and each student, being fully adaptable to each group or to each student in particular .
ICTs are helping to improve the student’s interaction with the classes, from having a passive role to a much more dynamic, active and responsible one.
But not only is the medium with which the teachings are being taught changed, the procedures and methods for teaching classes are also being modified . New teaching / learning models are developed, such as the inverted classroom , gamification or project-based learning, among others.
More dynamic evaluation modelsare being incorporated , with results in real time and with the possibility of obtaining feedback on those points that have not been sufficiently clear among the students.
It also makes it easier for families to get involved in the education of their children , offering the possibility, to the educational centers, to have a more direct contact with them.
Now, it is important to create a healthy awareness of ICTs and know how to differentiate between what helps us and what their limitations are.
Main advantages of ICT:
- Motivation of the students: The students will be much more motivated when ICT tools are used in their center, it is a much more attractive method for them and much more enjoyable. It is also a support they use regularly, so they are easily handled in this environment and they find it closer
- Generation of interest: Allows students to expand knowledge about those subjects that interest them most. In the same way, they can find a more enjoyable way to learn for those others that are more tedious
- Greater level of cooperation:Virtual environments offer tools to create forums or work groups in which students can share knowledge (social networks, blogs, diigo, etc …) and create workspaces where they interact with documents simultaneously ( google drive, one drive, dropbox, …). Also for teachers, facilitates the organization of classes (google classroom, …) and how to share content with students
- Power creativity: The virtual world offers many learning tools that stimulate student creativity: slide shows, infographics, video creation, etc …
- Improved communication:Thanks to tools such as group chats, forums, email, blogs, …
- Critical thinking : By having various sources with different points of view on a subject, we can get to have a more complete view of it
- Multiculturalism: One of the most interesting advantages posed by ICT is that the space / time barriers are broken down, since it allows asynchronous (not instantaneous) communication with people of different cultures. Undoubtedly a very interesting option from the educational point of view.
- They offer the possibility of creating contents adapted to the needs and interests of each student. This also supposes a powerful tool that allows that the learning adapts also to the students with special needs.
- They make it possible to learn in a more attractive and entertaining way, more active than traditional methods.
- Students ‘comprehension and interest are encouraged by having a wide range of resources such as animations, audiovisual material, graphics, interactive programs, multimedia tools that reinforce students’ understanding.
- They increase the dynamism of the class because the student can interact, create resources, communicate and exchange experiences, going from being a mere receiver to an active participant in the dynamics of the classroom.
- Generate greater distractions:In the world of ICT you have so much information and alternatives that it is very easy to be distracted, thus increasing the degree of dispersion
- High levels of addiction: When we spoke before learning to use ICTs and to become aware of them, we referred among others to learn to control the level of addiction they generate, especially in the younger profiles
- Greater loss of time: Very related to the first point of attention in this list
- Generates isolation: The abusive use of ICT generates less contact, in the physical world, between people, which is a handicap for the growth of the person. It also entails the non-completion of other necessary activities, such as sports
- Filtering information: Much of the information you find in digital media is false or incomplete. You have to know how to contrast the content and look for reliable sources of information
- Cyberbullying or harassment through the networks : No doubt a very controversial and rabidly topical issue and one of the greatest risks posed by ICT. The lack of physical contact with other people, causes the loss of assertiveness and can lead to this type of actions. Likewise, the possibility of creating false profiles and hiding the identity in networks can cause situations of risk for people in networks
- Lack of privacy : This issue is also closely related to the previous one, we are very exposed due to the amount of personal information that we share in the networks, this can result in becoming the target of persecution of stalkers. Luckily, more and more work is being done to improve privacy in the tools, but undoubtedly, it is also necessary to raise awareness that it is not necessary, it can even be counterproductive, sharing certain types of information through the networks.
- Sometimes it is complicated on the internet to know which information is correct or which sources are the most reliable. It is the teacher’s job to help the student to seek information with a critical spirit and learn to discern what is really reliable and useful for the subject.
- They can be detrimental to the development of social skills necessary for other types of communication essential for the social development of the student, such as face-to-face communication, because they favor isolation and individualism.
In summary, technology is having a great impact on society as a whole, although with its pros and cons as we have detailed. Undoubtedly, well used will generate many more benefits than disadvantages and this is what we have to focus on, trying to improve the benefits and reduce the cons by training people to use it efficiently.