The Jade plant is one of the succulents that is grown indoors. For that, it is worth wondering is it the poison jade plant?
Is the plant jade poisonous?
The Jade plant (Crassula ovata or Crassula argentea) is a succulent common good in many parts of the world. It is even easy to grow indoors . But, despite its beauty, the jade plant is slightly toxic to humans, dogs, cats and horses.
Planta Jade – Toxicity
Name: Crassula ovata or Crassula argentea
Toxicity: Toxic for dogs, cats, horses and humans
Clinical signs in dogs and cats:vomiting, depression, incoordination
Toxicity of the Jade plant for humans
Jade plants cause diarrhea and vomiting if swallowed. In addition, touching the sap can cause itching and burning of the skin . If this is your case, wear gloves, long-sleeved shirt and safety glasses to prune them.
If you ingest the leaves of the Jade plant visit your health care provider.
Toxicity of the Jade plant for dogs and cats
Dogs and cats that have eaten the leaves of a Jade plant may suffer from diarrhea, depression, vomiting and lack of balance . If your dog exhibits any of these signs, contact the veterinarian.
Before going to the vet, write down when and where the poisoning occurred. Make sure you take a sample of the plant . Do not try to medicate your pet or cause vomiting.
How to prevent
Cats often eat plants when they are not getting enough plant matter in their diet, even if the plant is poisonous. The surest way to prevent poisoning is to get rid of the Jade plant .
If you decide to keep it, plae it in a place where your cat can not reach it. Collect the fallen leaves.
You can also place a small pot with catnip in an accessible place. This can turn off the cat’s curiosity about the Jade plant.
We can conclude by saying that the Jade plant is poisonous, at least slightly poisonous.