The nopal, is a plant of the cactus family that in Mexican cuisine is a typical traditional ingredient and very versatile. There are different ways to prepare it and thus take advantage of its many benefits. So in this case we learn to prepare cactus marmalade with this fantastic recipe.
Nowadays jams are preserves that can not be missed at home, but it is time to innovate and prepare a cactus jam that you will not get in the market, it will carry the homemade seal.
Perhaps you have heard a saying that says that the heart is reached by the stomach , and although anatomically is false, you can make great demonstrations of affection cooking for a loved one and earn your love.
It’s ideal for growing kids! And with this wonderful recipe for cactus jam they will not hesitate to eat it.
- 500 gr of nopal
- 2 green apples (we will only use the peel of the apples in this recipe)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of water
- A pinch of baking
With that, it will be enough. And a little jar to keep it.
How to prepare cactus jam?
- Step 1 : Peel the apples, cut the peels and place them in a pot with water to boil
- Step 2 : Take care to wash the nopales very well, then using the water where you boiled the husks liquefy them.
- Step 3 : Pour the contents of the blender into a saucepan, add the sugar and bring to medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes. This will caramelize the nopales.
- Step 4 : When it is boiling it is time to add the baking soda together with the lemon juice. You must remove the foam and stir constantly to avoid sticking.
- Step 5 : When you stop foaming and move it to see the bottom of the container the cooking of cactus jam will be finished.
How to package cactus jam?
Now you can pack your cactus jam in glass jars, leave a space of one centimeter between the jam and the lid and close it tightly to form a vacuum.
Each time you prepare jams you must sterilize the glass jars previously. After washing them you should only put them to boil in a pot with water for 15 – 20 minutes for the sterilization process.
Congratulations you finished your cactus jam, now you can delight with cookies, toast or as you prefer. Enjoy it!