White patches in the throat are usually a symptom of a sore throat.
White spots are not dangerous but can cause discomfort, especially if they occur simultaneously with:
- Fever ,
- Sore throat .
White spots on the pharynx indicate a purulent tonsillitis .
In some cases, the whitish lining of the mouth is uncomfortable because it is caused by bacteria that cause bad breath .
Causes of white spots in the throat
Candidiasis or thrush
One of the common reasons for white spots in the throat is oral thrush .
This is an infection in the oral cavity caused by yeast (fungus), especially:
- Tongue .
In severe cases, this infection can spread to the esophagus, in the throat causes in such a case, a white coating.
Candidosis often affects people with a weakened immune system, for example people who have AIDS.
As a rule, this infection runs without fever.
Symptoms of oral thrush are:
- Sore throat,
- Burning in the mouth ,
- Difficulty in eating spicy food,
- bad breath,
- Loss of the sense of taste.
The herpes viruses I and II infest the mucous membranes of the body.
Therefore, this disease can arise:
- in the mouth (tongue, palate, cheeks and gums),
- on the female and male genitalia.
Is the immune system of the person weakened, there is an increased possibility of cold sores .
If the herpes in the mouth, small white or reddish bubbles form, which burst in the episode and leave a painful crust in the throat.
People with herpes in the mouth, can also suffer from:
- Complaints when chewing and swallowing food,
- Burning in the mouth ,
- Difficulty breathing (rare).
Pfeiffer’s glandular fever
Pfeiffer’s glandular fever is a disease characterized by severe tiredness , which may last for a few weeks to a month.
Other symptoms that occur are:
- Strong sore throat
- Pus accumulation in the throat and on the pharyngeal tonsils
- Muscle aches
- loss of appetite
This condition is considered to be an initial or pre-cancerous condition that may progress to a malignant tumor.
Known causes of leukoplakia are:
- Tobacco smoke or chewing tobacco,
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Leukoplakia is characterized by white spots that appear:
- in the back of the throat,
- in the area of ??the tongue,
- on the inside of the cheeks.
Diphtheria is a bacterially transmitted disease that causes severe inflammation :
Symptoms of diphtheria can be:
- Sore throat,
- runny and stuffy nose ,
- enlarged lymph nodes in the throat,
- gray spots in the throat,
- Respiratory disorders,
These symptoms are caused by diseases that cause infections and white spots on the tonsils.
One can also find accumulations of pus.
The pharyngitis caused by streptococci:
- Headache ,
- Tiredness ,
- enlarged cervical lymph nodes,
- Vomiting .
White spots on the pharynx
This is an infection affecting the pharynx, the pharyngeal area, which:
- starts at the pharynx,
- on the larynx (vocal cords) ends.
Pharyngitis can be caused by:
However, most cases are caused by viruses, which also cause:
- Chills ,
- Sore throat,
- Difficulties swallowing.
In a bacterial pharyngitis inflammation usually affects the throat and the tonsils.
stones Almond stones or tonsillitis are caused by accumulations of lime, which sits in the furrows of the almonds and forms into white spots.
If the stones are large, they can become infected and cause discomfort when talking and swallowing.
Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the tonsils. If the tonsillitis is caused by bacteria, white specks may form.
In addition, other symptoms may occur, such as:
- Weakness ,
- Headache ,
- high fever,
- In children, nausea, vomiting and rashes may occur in skin folds (for example in the armpits).
- Complaints when eating.
Persistent bacterial infection can also lead to holes in the tonsils, called tonsillar crypts.
In case of difficulty swallowing, you should drink liquid food.
Symptoms that occur in the formation of white spots in the throat
- Sudden and serious throat pain.
- White palate and white tongue .
- Enlarged and reddened almonds.
- Earache , when the infection also spreads to the ear and causes otitis .
- Headache .
- Weakness and tiredness .
- Difficulty swallowing, the sore throat causes a swelling, which makes the passage of food difficult.
- Sore throat.
- Enlarged cervical lymph nodes , a normal response to infection.
- Fever, arises in case of infection.
- Joint pain when the sufferer also suffers from seasonal flu .
- Heavy sweating if the patient also suffers from flu and high fever.
- Appetite loss, because the neck swelling causes pain during eating.
- Dry or productive cough , often caused by respiratory irritation.
- Nausea when the patient is suffering from streptococcal infection (especially children).
- Breathing difficulty, because the swollen neck obstructs the passage of the air flow.
- Itching or stinging in the throat, caused by the inflammation.
Are white spots contagious?
If the child suffers from tonsillitis or other infectious disease, microbes or viruses may be transmitted to other people.
At least two days of antibiotic treatment must be awaited before returning to school.
Complications of white spots in the throat
Untreated white spots in the throat can cause:
- Aggravation of the infection,
- Spread to other body parts.
Inflamed tonsils can interfere with breathing.
Untreated white spots on the tonsils may make the patient susceptible to infection:
- the ears ( otitis ),
- the paranasal sinuses ( sinusitis ),
- the heart valves (infective endocarditis).
In rare cases kidney diseases such as glomerulonephritis can be caused.
Diagnosis of white spots in the throat
To determine the cause of the white spots in the throat, the doctor must:
- know the medical history and the risk factors,
- examine the pharynx.
If in doubt, he can make a throat swab.
This test consists of an examination of the secretions of the mouth.
The pharynx and almonds are dabbed with a sterile cotton swab.
The cotton swab is examined microscopically to identify the responsible germs.
If the smear is streptococcal-negative, the cause may be:
- another bacterium (for example gonococcus),
- Pfeiffer’s glandular fever (Epstein-Bar virus),
- another disease, which requires further investigation.
Treatment – Treatment of white spots in the throat and medication
If the white spots are caused by a candidosis , the doctor may prescribe a treatment against fungi, for example with itraconazole (Sporanox ®). The drug can be used locally or taken orally.
In herpes labialis , an antiviral agent helps to alleviate the symptoms.
However, it is important to keep the airway free of moisture.
For almond stones, removal of the stones by natural methods or possibly by surgery is required.
In glandular fever , doctors prescribe bed rest for a few weeks before returning to normal everyday activity.
One problem is spleen enlargement and the possibility of organ removal when performing activities that can worsen the condition.
In case of fever , the most common drugs are:
- Paracetamol (Paracetamol Ratiopharm),
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Brufen).
Throat infections during pregnancy or lactation
Since some medications are of concern to pregnant women, a sore throat in pregnant women should be treated with caution.
The doctor may recommend a throat swab to determine if the infection is caused by streptococci.
If the result confirms the presence of bacteria, antibiotics are the first treatment.
However, many people have a virus-related pharyngitis, in which case antibiotics are ineffective.
Virus-induced strep throat heals without antibiotics over a week or two.
If the tonsillitis is caused by a virus, it can be treated with simple home remedies.
Which antibiotics should be taken for throat and tonsillitis? How many days?
If the inflammation is caused by streptococcus, the doctor prescribes a cycle of antibiotics such as penicillin (for example benzylpenicillin).
If the person has penicillin allergy, the doctor may order another antibiotic, for example azithromycin (Zitromax).
Amoxicillin (Augmentin, Zimox) is from the same family as penicillin and is often prescribed in children because it is available as a chewable tablet.
The duration of the antibiotic cycle in tonsillitis is 7-10 days.
In case of recurrent tonsillitis, the final solution may be surgical removal of the palatine tonsils.
Antibiotics reduce the severity of the symptoms and the risk of complications, but it takes the body several days to remove the white spots.
Anti-inflammatories and painkillers
If white patches persist (do not go back with the other medications), the doctor may prescribe corticosteroids such as betamethasone (Bentelan), but the side effects of cortisone must be considered.
Natural remedy for white spots in the throat
Since a throat infection can be contagious, one should observe bed rest and not go to school or work.
drink water contributes to the maintenance of hydration in, because with high fever can you lose by sweating plenty of fluids.
Gargling with warm and salted water can relieve sore throat, as salt has antibacterial properties.
Upon contact with bacteria, it removes liquid from these microorganisms through the cell membrane.
The result is a dying of the bacteria.
One should dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and gargle twice a day:
- In the morning,
- in the evening.
You can also gargle with:
- Coca-Cola : Some doctors recommend gargling with Coca-Cola to remove the white spots from the tonsils.
- Lemon juice : It is sufficient to add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of lukewarm water. Lemon has excellent oral disinfectant properties.
- Propolis : Add 10 drops of the propolis solution to a cup of lukewarm water. After gargling first, you can drink the solution as well. Propolis is considered a natural antibiotic and is indicated against respiratory infections. There are also sprays for direct spraying in the neck.
- Ginger tea : Boil water and add 3-4 slices of fresh ginger. Let it rest for 10 minutes. You can also add a slice of lemon and a teaspoon of honey.
Nutrition in white spots in the throat
As far as nutrition is concerned, you should avoid hot and spicy foods, potato chips and sour foods such as tomato sauce as they can irritate the throat area.
Ice can relieve the pain, but does not serve the therapy. On the contrary, it contains sugar and milk, which can promote infections.
According to the hygienists (a natural medicine ), a light diet based on fast-digesting foods is important:
- Raw vegetables: especially green vegetables and cruciferous vegetables,
- Seasonal fruits,
- Nuts (almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc.) in small quantities,
If your appetite is missing , you should not eat. In this way, the body does not consume energy for digestion and focuses on the infection.
One should quit smoking because tobacco smoke aggravates white spots and increases the risk of complications.
Is heat or cold better with white spots in the throat?
If you have an infection, it’s better to drink refreshing (not cold) drinks for the first few days. However, when the infection is no longer in the acute phase, heat helps the body combat the bacteria and viruses.
How long does recovery take?
A viral infection usually heals in 5-6 days.
White spots caused by bacteria can persist for 3-4 days, while other symptoms can persist for a week.