If you want to know the differences between the Boston Terrier and the French Bulldog, you’re in the right place! However, before this, let’s start with a little introduction.
Introduction to the Boston terrier and the French bulldog
Before we see the differences between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog, we have a question: has it ever happened to you that while walking down the street you thought you saw a French bulldog, but you noticed something strange or different, but you did not know what? The answer is that you did not actually see a French bulldog, but a Boston terrier. They are two dog breeds very similar at first sight, but they actually have many differences , both physical and psychological. We’re going to show you how to find the differences between a Boston terrier and an English bulldog.
First of all, do you know what a Boston terrier is? This breed is the result of a cross between a bulldog and a terrier, both English. Although it may not seem so, there are visible differences between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog.
Although there are clear differences, the Boston terrier and the French bulldog also have similarities, they are very good options as companion animals, with a similar physical requirement, affable character and adapted to life at home. They also share the characteristic snout, which, although funny, can complicate their lives; the scarce extension of this difficulty in both dogs the task of cooling naturally.
If you’re just curious, or if you’re looking for a pet and want to know the two breeds well, let’s see the differences between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog:
Different proportions of the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog
The first difference between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog that we must take into account is its difference in size:
- Boston terrier:
Height : 28 – 38 cm.
Weight : 5 – 12 kg.
- French Bulldog:
Height : 30 – 40 cm.
Weight: 9 – 20 kg
As you can see, the French bulldog is noticeably bigger than the Boston terrier.
Temperament of the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog
We continue our list of differences between Boston terrier and French bulldog with the personality of these two dogs:
- Boston terrier : it is a very fun, active, playful and affectionate dog that loves to be with family and enjoy the people he loves. He is very intelligent and easy to train . It is suitable to live with children and babies and an excellent watchdog despite its small size.
- French Bulldog : this dog is cheerful and docile, also great to live with children . They are very affectionate and have great confidence in themselves, but do not hesitate to face any obstacle or threat they encounter.
Feeding the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog
This third difference between Boston terrier and French bulldog has not so much to do with its innate characteristics, but with its nutritional needs.
- Boston terrier : needs a balanced and quality diet. It may be dry feed or canned food, but make sure it is high in lean animal protein.
- French Bulldog : the main difference in the diet of the French bulldog against the Boston terrier is that this, although it feeds are a similar or similar to the Boston, it is appropriate to control the quantities especially. The French bulldog never has enough, he will eat everything we give him and he tends to be overweight. It is advisable to monitor their weight to avoid that it leads to more serious problems.
Do the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog have the same quality of health?
Health conditions are also a clear difference between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog.
- Boston terrier : its flat snout tends to make it difficult for you to breathe when you exercise . It also has a narrow pelvis , so deliveries are somewhat complicated, often by cesarean section. It is common to find cardiac and cutaneous tumors in Boston terrier dogs . On the other hand, their bulging eyesare prone to damage and need constant vigilance.
- French Bulldog : as with the Boston terrier, the short muzzle causes respiratory problems , which are aggravated by the small windpipe, which makes them drown easily. The birth of the French bulldogs can be complicated for the mother , since the puppies are already born with a rather large head; in these cases, cesareans are also performed. They are also prone to certain types of cancer and genetic malformations.
As you can see, their physical similarities cause very similar problems in both races.
What care do the Boston Terrier and the French Bulldog need?
After having seen the differences between the Boston terrier on a physical, psychological and nutritional level, we will pay attention to your needs for care and hygiene:
- Boston terrier : this dog has a smooth, short, thin and shiny hair . The cleaning is quite simple, it is enough with an occasional bath and you should comb frequently with a rigid barbed brush. For cleaning the face, it is best to pass a damp cloth gently every day. It is good to check your eyes and ears often. The nails should be cut sporadically.
- French Bulldog : the care of the French bulldog must be daily. Their snout and the wrinkles on your face accumulate dirt and sweat and produce a bad smell if not cleaned often . In addition, a lack of hygiene can cause infections . You should also check their ears and eyes regularly to eliminate infections ,dirt, etc. The nails also need an occasional cut.
How much exercise do both breeds need?
- Boston terrier : they need regular walks and outdoor games in spacious but bounded and safe spaces. It is best to avoid the hottest hours in summer so as not to complicate your breathing.
- French Bulldog : the difference in size between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog affects their physical needs. The French bulldog is more robust, solid and compact, so it will resist more physical exercise than the Boston terrier. But do not go too! Do not force or fatigue. The appropriate thing is to make a couple of routes of approximately two km each day, with episodes of games.