Does your GSD like to eat apples? Do you give him pieces from time to time? If your dog eats apple it is good news! Why? Because dogs can eat apples and in fact, apples are good for dogs and they are a very healthy option as a natural bake for dogs!
Why are apples a very good treat for dogs?
Properties of the apple for dogs:
Is the apple good for dogs? Dogs eat apples and in fact they benefit a lot from it, since they are natural, fresh, cheap fruits and they are very good! The apples have benefits for your dog and bring many good things for your health, including:
- Apples have vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Tannins, with anti-inflammatory and astringent properties
Apple for constipation in dogs:
Depends how it is consumed, the apple is good for dogs with constipation or on the contrary, it is astringent (cuts diarrhea).
- If you want to use the apple against constipation in dogs , use it fresh, cut into pieces and better with skin. No However, if your dog after one or two days does not excrete and want a more “explosive remedy ” use olive oil for constipation in dogs .
Apple for dogs with diarrhea:
- If you want to use the apple against diarrhea in dogs (that is, as an astringent), use it grated and let it oxidize a little (it will turn reddish or brown). This activates the tannins, which are the ones that help to rebalance the intestine and slow down the transit.
Apple has anticancer properties:
Another super benefit of the apple is that it can help delay and fight cancer in dogs! -Well, in dogs and in humans. Do not you know what the apple’s pectin is ? Pectin is a component of the cell wall of vegetables, a natural fiber that in the presence of water becomes gelatinous.
In a recent study it has been discovered that pectin appears to inhibit galectin 3 , a protein that favors the expansion of cancer cells through the body.
Thus, pectin could help slow and even reverse the colonization of a healthy body by tumor cells. Above all, we talk about cancer of the intestine, colon and rectum.
Warning and contradiction
Of course, the seeds of the apple are very harmful to dogs, for its amygdalin content (composed of sugar, hydrocyanic acid and benzaldehyde). This compound was believed to be beneficial for health, but several studies    have shown that it is a potentially toxic glycoside. Some researchers recommend not to give your dog the apple core because of the small traces of cyanide found in the seed but this is debatable .
Do not abuse the apple with your GSD
If they are so healthy and have so many properties, why should not I base my dog’s diet on apples or feed him 3 apples a day? Because the apple is very rich in
- Fructose, apples contain carbohydrates in the form of sugars
In fact, fructose is the biggest nutritional component of the apple. And as we all know, sugar in large doses is not good for dogs. So go ahead with the apples, but in moderation! -Remember, your dog is carnivore, not a rabbit! If you want more info on this, see what dogs eat .
How much apple to give to my dog?
Give your dog washed apple if it is with skin, and without the seeds.
The amount of apple you can give your dog in a day, depends on the weight of your dog. If you are eating an apple you have a small dog, obviously enough to give a few pieces. Big dogs, like a German shepherd, you can wash the apple, remove the seeds and give it to the whole.
You can give your dog apple regularly or even daily, it will not hurt you, on the contrary! Of course, for a varied diet is better to alternate between this and other healthy fruits for dogs. And also, remember this:
The apple is good for dogs, but it is enough that 15 or 20% of your dog’s diet be fruits and vegetables!
But if you want to give fruits to your dog, do not just give him only apples, because, as we said, variety is good health! So you can give many other vegetables and vary.
- And please, you must know that there are toxic fruits and vegetables for dogs !
Apple recipe for German Shepherds
In addition to giving a few pieces of apple to your dog when you eat one , you can cook food for your dog, with apple. For example, you can make apple cookies for your GSD ? They are made with natural and healthy ingredients, and for just over one euro you will have about 80 cookies for your best friend!
Other recipes for dogs with apples:
This second idea is a birthday cake for dogs based on apple and carrot. It’s fluffy, a special treat!
It is very easy to make, rich in fiber and other nutrients and your dog will love it!
Do you want to give your dog some fruit and vegetables to supplement your diet or as a reward but you are not sure which one to choose? The list of fruits and vegetables that exist in the world in immense, but let’s simplify a little. In this post we present a list of 22 fruits that dogs can eat !
- Ellison, NM; Byar, DP; Newell, GR “Special report on Laetrile: the NCI Laetrile Review, Results of the National Cancer Institute’s retrospective Laetrile analysis”. N. Engl. J. Med., 299, 10, September 1978
- Moertel CG, Ames MM, Kovach JS, Moyer TP, Rubin JR, Tinker JH «A pharmacologic and toxicological study of amygdalin». JAMA, 245, 6, February 1981
- Moertel, CG; Fleming, TR; Rubin, J «A clinical trial of amygdalin (Laetrile) in the treatment of human cancer». New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 306, n ° 4, gener of 1982