Advantages of Written Communication
The Written Communication has Permanence. By this we mean that we always have the information in writing to use it again.A well-written document can be a legal leverage in conflict cases as it records the communication that has taken place on the subject.
- It is a source of consultation. As it is understood, this communication can always have a later use as a means of information since it is permanently written.
- Effective written communication provides a point of reference as you work with co-workers and supervisors toward common goals. For example, a company benefits from effective written communication in a manual that addresses the guidelines for filing an invoice for a sales order or communicates a company procedure with employees.
- Reflection before Writing. We can think and define well what we want to express before writing it definitively in a document to later use it.
- Information is Registered can be use for historical purposes.
- Better for giving facts and opinions. The read can easily distinguish the facts from opinions. Better for difficult and complicated messages
It can be revised, corrected and improved
Useful when you need to keep a record.
- It can be well planned for better understanding and interpretation for the receiver.
- Induces the writer himself to think without passion and to express himself with greater objectivity.
- It establishes a bridge between the receiver and the source of authority, which is supposed to be more responsibility and truthfulness than a person.
- It attracts the receiver’s attention in terms of the conclusive aspects of the announcement and not the receiver’s merits or weaknesses.
- Letters, accents and punctuation are used to build a message.
It is reflexive, organized, elaborate and logical.
- It is constructed correctly and accurately.
You maybe interested in the advantages and disadvantages of oral communication
Disadvantages of Written Communication
- There is no immediate feedback. The difference between the iteractivity in written and verbal communication regarding immediate learning is clear.
- There may be a wrong Interpretation of the Message. As there is no person to explain the message of the information or its content in this as in the verbal communication; this can be lent to other understandings that are not proposed.
- Low level of interdependence.
- Foster the isolation.
- · You have to spend more time to write what you want to say eloquently.
- It can be expensive than oral communication
- No immediate computerization
- There are no clues that indicate in what spirit it was written , read cannot know your true emotions.
- It lacks heat
- It is difficult to be sure if the message was read.
- The most visible disadvantage lies in the danger that communication will only flow in one direction, because of the difficulties that usually arise to check the reaction and feedback the process, besides that it is not easy, as is believed by some people, to write with correction and, consequently, make the message intelligible.
- There is no immediate feedback. The difference between the interactivity in written and verbal communication regarding immediate learning is clear.